A friend of ours invited my boyfriend and I for a dinner at his house. He requested a small dessert. Agreeing to something with chocolate or fruit I dug into my recipes. I came up with a small chocolate tart. The crust was a bitter cocoa based shortbread crust and the filling was a sweet chocolate ganache. I topped the dessert with raspberries and blue berries. This was a pretty dessert and it was also delicious. It made for a great sweet ending to the evening.
Cake Flour – 1 1/2 cups
Butter – 3/4 cup
Sugar – 6 tbsp
Unsweetened Cocoa – 6 tbsp
Salt – a pinch
Heavy cream – 1/2 cup
Semi-sweet chocolate chip or chunks – 3 1/2 Oz
(I used Ghirardelli chocolates)
- Combine the butter, sugar and salt in a food processor. Process until blended.
- Add the cocoa and process until smooth.
- Add the flour and pulse until the mixture is crumbly but can be pinched to hold together.
- Divide the dough into six equal pieces, flatter each piece into a disk. Wrap them in a plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Remove one piece of dough at a time from the refrigerator and roll it into a 6 inch circle between two sheets of plastic wrap.
- If the dough gets too soft, refrigerate until firm before continuing.
- Remove the top sheet of the plastic wrap; invert the dough circle over a 4 1/2 inch nonstick tartlet pan with a removable bottom.
- Keeping the plastic Wrap on top, press the dough onto the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Repeat with the remaining dough to make six tartlet shells.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Prick the bottoms of the tartlet shells all over with a fork.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the dough looks dry.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Bring cream to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- Coarsely chop chocolate in a bowl. Add simmered cream (hot) to the chopped chocolate.
- Let it stand until softened.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Place in a larger bowl of cold water or ice cubes and let it stand, stirring occasionally, until cool.
- Whisk just until mixture forms soft peaks. Evenly distribute among cooled crusts just by spoon or using piping bag as I have done swirls.
- Garnish with chocolate chunks or fruits of your choice.
Refrigerate till you serve. Bring to room temperature 15 minutes before you serve.
Original recipe credit from dishesfrommykitchen.com