Going away parties: another reason for cheesecake. A few months ago a beloved professor, now to friend Yvonne, moved to Florida. The last day we all made a lunch to say goodbye. So, I figured, why not bring something sweet to the potluck.
This cheesecake had a cookie base, cinnamon crunch filling, and a cream cheese icing on top. I questioned the cheesecake being too sweet because of the cinnamon and brown sugar filling and the icing but, the sour of the cheesecake actually balanced out the sweetness of all the sugars. Enjoy!
Cinnamon Roll Cheesecake
1 1/2 cups nilla wafer crumbs
4 tbsp sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
5 tbsp butter
3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
5 tbsp ground cinnamon
3/4 cup flour
12 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp cream cheese, room temperature
6 tbsp butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
4-5 tbsp milk
(I used Cinnabon cereal to decorate the top)
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, combine crust ingredients and mix well.
3. Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
4. Bake crust for 10 minutes then remove and set aside.
5. Cover the outsides of the pan with aluminum foil and set aside.
Cheesecake and Cinnamon filling
1. Reduce oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, mix the cream cheese, sugar and flour until combined (Use low speed to keep less air from getting into the batter, which can cause cracks). Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating slowly and scraping the sides of the bowl after each addition.
4. Add the sour cream, vanilla extract and cinnamon. Beat on low speed until well combined. Set aside.
5. In another medium bowl, whisk together brown sugar, cinnamon and flour.
6. Stir in melted butter.
7. Break apart cinnamon mixture and sprinkle pieces over the bottom of the crust, about 1/4 of the cinnamon mixture.
8. Spread about 1/3 of the cheesecake filling over the cinnamon mixture.
9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 two more times, for a total of three layers of cinnamon and three layers of cheesecake filling.
10. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon mixture over top of cheesecake.
11. Place springform pan (covered with aluminum foil) inside another pan. Fill outside pan with enough warm water to go about halfway up the sides of the springform pan. The water should not go above the top edge of the aluminum foil on the springform pan.
8. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
9. Turn off heat and leave cheesecake in oven with door closed for 30 minutes.
10. Crack oven door and leave the cheesecake in the oven for about 5 minutes.
11. Remove cheesecake from oven and chill.
1. Combine cream cheese and butter and mix until smooth.
2. Add vanilla extract and powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
3. Add milk and mix until smooth.
4. Once cheesecake is cool and firm, remove from springform pan and place on serving plate. Cover with icing. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
(Adapted from sweetandsavorybyshinee.com)